In 2014, Dr. Jerry Clark in the Office of Student Affairs along with the Office of Medical Education established a “House system” (loosely based on Hogwarts in Harry Potter and named for some of the all-time giants in UMMC school history) for our incoming medical students as a way to establish community as well as give the students direct access to a faculty mentor.  Throughout the year and even their medical school career, the mentor will work with these students on a regular basis.  With the assistance of M2 House prefects, faculty House mentors will plan events for the students throughout the year, meet with the students for coffee on occasion, and be there to assist the students in ways to help ensure their overall success and well-being.  (From personal experience, I have thoroughly enjoyed serving as a House mentor, getting to know the students, and participating in their medical school careers.  It has been one of the most enjoyable positions I have ever held!)

We occasionally have turnover in the House mentor position as faculty duties and responsibilities change, and this year, we have an opening for the position of House mentor for the Shirley House.  If you would be interested in serving as a House mentor beginning in July 2022, or if you would like further information regarding expectations, please contact me by email at [log in to unmask] by Monday, March 21.  We will select the mentor from a group of interested applicants.

Thank you for your continued support of our students.  It is appreciated.

Mike

Michael R. McMullan, MD

Professor of Medicine

Division Director, Cardiovascular Diseases

Associate Dean for Student Affairs, School of Medicine

University of Mississippi Medical Center

Jackson, MS 39216

(601) 984-5012

To unsubscribe from the SOM-OFFICEOFMEDICALED-LIST list, click the following link:
http://listserv.umc.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=SOM-OFFICEOFMEDICALED-LIST